AIOps is the application of machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) towards automating operations so that ITOps teams can monitor services more effectively and improve their ability to achieve continuous service assurance.
A recent study by Forrester found that “68% of companies surveyed are actively investing in AIOps-enabled monitoring solutions within the next 12 months.”
If you’re considering artificial intelligence for IT operations (AIOps) then a good first step is to try a simple proof-of-concept (POC) project. This can help to demonstrate to your team how an AIOps approach would work and how it could improve your DevOps and site reliability engineering (SRE) teams’ ability to achieve continuous service assurance.
Follow the 7 tips below to help you launch your own simple AIOps proof-of-concept (POC) initiative to evaluate how AIOps would work within your organization:
- Pick target apps and identify data sources. Identify one or two applications and services that will be the test bed for your observability with AIOps POC of data gathering, analytics, and monitoring. Connect the data sources for the target applications and services. AIOps applications can help you with this by automatically discovering and connecting to some of the data sources.
- Identify enrichment sources. Gain additional context and useful information from your data by enriching it with additional third-party sources using AIOps integrations. AIOps can also help surface useful information from within the data itself.
- Enable workflows with tools. Establish connections between AIOps applications and your existing third-party tools, such as Slack and Jira, to automate workflows and enable bidirectional transfer of data and notifications.
- Observe the initial results. AIOps applications will analyze your data and determine normal operating behaviors. Observe the results and become familiar with how AIOps presents normal versus error conditions.
- Socialize intentions and plans. While conducting the POC, tell teammates about your plans for using AIOps in live, real-world operations. Help everyone to see that automated capabilities will not only dramatically improve performance – it will also make their lives easier!
- Reassess the results against your plan. Review the results of how AIOps improved your teams’ ability to resolve incidents, and make sure the results are aligned with your original goals and expectations. You can refine and tune AIOps applications to achieve optimum results as you go along.
- Share your experiences. Let all stakeholders know the results of the POC. Be sure to associate successful incident resolutions with tangible business benefits that prevented an outage or improved the customer experience. Observability with AIOps will become the trusted anchor for your continuous service assurance.